Art & Design BTEC Extended Diploma Level 3 at Tower Hamlets College
During the first year students will work within a wide range of disciplines, covering graphics, print and illustration, fine art and sculpture, 3D model making for product, interior
and theatre design, fashion design, surface, digital and textile print, crafts and sustainable design, covering ceramics, jewellery, bookbinding and papermaking. The emphasis is on problem solving and helping you to realise your creative potential. You will
also study critical and contextual studies to complement your practical and theoretical understanding of other artists. At the end of the 1st year
students will be awarded a Level 3 qualification 90 Credit Diploma in Art & Design which is equivalent to 1.5 A Levels.
In the second year students select a specialist area of art and design in order to prepare a portfolio of work. Students have the opportunity to work on projects with galleries and museums; recent projects have included the ‘Pop-Up’ Architecture Exhibition with Central St Martins School of Architecture, Duchamp & Son project with the Whitechapel Gallery and the Greenwich Museum East India Textiles Exhibition. We have links with the Tate Gallery, Central St Martins and Raven Row Gallery, who offer mentoring and interview workshops for students in preparation for applying to university. We have an excellent record of students progressing onto the university of their choice to study at degree level, such as Goldsmiths for Fine Art, Central St Martins for Fine Art, Textiles, Graphic Design and Architecture, Chelsea School of Art for Textiles and Spatial Design and the London College of Communication for Graphic Design. At the end of the 2nd year students are awarded the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art and Design qualification which is equivalent to 3 A Levels.
- Graphics design
- print and illustration
- fine art and sculpture
- 3D model making for product
- interior and theatre design
- fashion design
- digital and textile print
- crafts and sustainable design
- covering ceramics
- bookbinding and papermaking
- Five GCSEs at grade C or above including English Language. You will need to attend a portfolio interview.
- You can go on to Higher Education applying for a Foundation or BA Honours Degree in a variety of subjects including fine art, sculpture, stage and theatre design, fashion and textiles, 3D product and eco design, architecture, graphic design, package design, jewellery, ceramic and craft design.
- Alternatively, you can begin an NVQ Apprenticeship in Design Support or NVQ Apprenticeship in Digital Design
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Tower Hamlets College directly.