Sport BTEC Diploma Level 2 at Bolton College
Our full-time study programmes are designed to maximise your career prospects and widen your options for further or higher study.
If you would like to work in a leisure centre with a fitness facility – perhaps as a fitness instructor – then this course could be for you. You’ll study fitness and training and look at the science and psychology behind sport, enabling you to work unsupervised in a gym, Whether you have the drive and ambition to get to the top of the podium, or the passion and dedication to put someone else there, this sports qualification can help you reach the peak of your game. If you give us commitment, enthusiasm and motivation, we will give you the knowledge and practical skills that you are looking for.
This course will build on skills gained at Level 1.
Work experience is also an integral part of our study programmes, enabling you to gain essential exposure to the world of work.
What you'll learn
On this course you will learn about:
- Instructing, Observing & Assisting Gym-Based Activities
- Evaluating and Developing Own Practice in Instructing Exercise & Fitness
- Motivating and Supporting Clients to Develop Maintain Fitness
- Planning & preparing Gym-Based Activities with Clients
- Dealing with Accidents & Emergencies (first aid)
- Personal Learning & Thinking Skills (PLTS)
- Level 2 Award in Employment Awareness in Active Leisure & Learning
You’ll will also study, if appropriate, Function Skills Level 1 in English and maths.
We encourage our students to continue their English & maths study to Level 3
Elements of study
Your programme consists of the following elements:
- Study of your chosen vocational subject (50% of your programme)
- English and maths (continued until the achievement of GCSE grade 4 (C) or equivalent)
- Employability skills (e.g. punctuality, attendance, communication and team work)
- Work experience (giving you a taste of working life)
- Tutorial & personal development (e.g. healthy living, volunteering and citizenship skills)
We’d like to see a proven track record of very good attendance at school/work, along with a good reference from school/a previous employer. We also ask that you have two GCSEs, at Grade 4 (C) or above, or a Level 1 qualification in Sports and a satisfactory level of English and maths.
You’ll be assessed by assignments, projects, practical work and case studies.
Government-funded Further Education courses are usually free if you are aged 16-18 and are a British or European Union resident. Financial help is available for some students, whose families are on low income. If you’re worried about the cost of going to College, why not pop in for a friendly chat with our Student Services team?
For any financial queries or information about available bursaries, feel free to contact Student Services at Deane Road by calling 01204 482 181/195 and asking for a member of the Student Finance Team; or alternatively, come by and see us – we’re here to help!
After you have completed the course you could remain in College and progress on to the Sport BTEC Extended Diploma Level 3.
Alternatively, if you choose to look for paid work you could opt for an Exercise & Fitness or Activity Leadership (Coaching) Level 2 Apprenticeship and work as an Apprentice Fitness Instructor.
Check out opportunities at the University of Bolton by visiting www.bolton.ac.uk
Following further study you could work as:
- A Fitness Instructor where you could earn between £14,000 and £20,000 a year, depending on experience.
- A Personal Trainer, earning between £12,000 and £20,000 a year.
- A PE Teacher, earning between £22,000 and £32,000 a year.
Our £75 million campus offers:
- A fitness suite and sports hall
- Apple Mac suites
- A theatre and dance studios
- A café selling Costa coffee
- Wella-approved hair salons
We also have a wide range of events throughout the year including showcases, enterprise activities and cultural celebrations.
Number 1 for Achievement Rates
We’re the number one General FE and Tertiary College for 16-18 achievement rates in Greater Manchester.
Ofsted Grade 2 ‘Good’
Ofsted also agrees; in February we were inspected and graded 2 for ‘Good’. Ofsted highlighted the fact that our learners develop good employability and personal skills and that a high proportion progress to Apprenticeships, employment or Higher Education.
We want to give you a positive experience at College and a rounded view of the industry you could one day be working in. So, during your time at College, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a range of activities, including:
- Meeting guest speakers from the industry
- Visiting local businesses
- Taking part in enrichment activities – such as social and sporting events, and getting involved in fundraising activities
The College will support you throughout your time here; you will receive personal support from both your tutor and your Learning & Development Mentor. Support is also available from our dedicated Student Services team for personal, financial and careers guidance.
During their recent visit in February 2017, Ofsted commended the College for its provision of “well targeted information, advice and careers guidance, which meets individual needs and enables learners to make informed choices about the next steps in their learning and career”.
Discover what Bolton College can do for you by attending one of our Young People’s Open Events at our Deane Road campus.
Thursday 12th October 2017, 4.30pm - 8pm
Wednesday 22nd November 2017, 4.30pm - 8pm
Wednesday 7th February 2018, 4.30pm - 8pm
Thursday 28th September 2017, 3.30pm – 7pm
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.