Moving Image A Level at Barton Peveril Sixth Form College
- Advantageous if GCSEs include a C in English Language
- GCSE Art or experience in filmmaking are not required
- You will need a camcorder from the start of the course
- Practical coursework forms 60% of the course. The exam unit, which is 40%, is also practical. You will need to complete written work as part of your first year coursework and a 3000 word coursework essay in the second year
- Cannot be studied alongside Photography.
Moving Image is based on film as an art form. The course concentrates on using film to express imagination, ideas and opinions. Enthusiasm, creativity, organisation and self-discipline will be important attributes. Commitment outside of lessons is crucial to success. Regular homework will be set, which takes the form of filming, written work, taking photographs and putting work into your workbook. Every piece of work you produce from September to May contributes to your portfolio for assessment. You will learn: how to use your camcorder; how to compose a film; how to use Final Cut Pro X; experimental imagery techniques in the form of workshops; creative techniques such as collage; basic Photoshop editing; how to analyse the work of other practitioners; and how to present your work. There will be at least one study visit to galleries during the autumn term to enrich and inspire you. You will benefit from a well-resourced and experienced department. You will have access to your own computer with Final Cut Pro X, Adobe Photoshop and other programmes to able to work digitally in each lesson.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Barton Peveril Sixth Form College directly.