Product Design Graphics Products AS level at Kings Langley School
A wide range of knowledge and experience primarily developing creativity, independence, logical thought processes and a practical approach to problem solving.
Using Graphical principles and experiences the course will allow you to:
- develop and sustain innovation, creativity and design and technology capability, to recognise constraints and to produce high quality products
- develop critical understanding of the influences of the processes and products of design and technological activity from a historical perspective and in current practice
- apply essential knowledge, understanding and skills of design production processes to a range of technological activities and develop an understanding of industrial practices
- use information and communications technology (ICT) to enhance design and technological capability
- recognise the social, moral, spiritual and cultural values inherent in design and technological activity, and develop critical evaluation skills in technical, aesthetic, ethical, economic, environmental, social and cultural contexts
- develop as discerning consumers able to make informed choices
- develop positive attitudes of co-operation and citizenship and work collaboratively
A grade C or better at GCSE Graphic Products is essential.
AS unit 1: Portfolio of Creative Skills. (6GR01).
In this unit students are given the opportunity to develop their creative, technical and practical skills through a series of product investigation, design and manufacturing activities. (Coursework).
AS unit 2: Design and Technology in Practice. (6GR02).
In this unit students will develop a knowledge and understanding of a wide range of materials and processes used in the field of design and technology. (Examination - 1 hour 30 minutes).
This subject supports many design based post Key Stage 5 opportunities and career paths such as Graphic Design, Product Design, Computer Aided Design, Advertising etc. Many of the research, evaluating and reporting skills would be of great use in a wide range of 'unrelated' degrees.
There are many practical aspects to the course which focuses heavily on designing, modelling and making. Creativity, imagination and the ability to develop ideas thoroughly and with flair will be important.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Kings Langley School directly.