Sociology - AS and A2 at Marine Academy
Sociologists ask questions about whether society works and whether
certain groups are included or excluded.
The kind of questions Sociologists ask include:
- Is the traditional family dying out? Is this a bad thing?
- Why do subcultures form?
- Is our society still biased against women?
- Can we blame the mass media for terrorism?
- Are the youth of today any more rebellious than in the
- Do schools provide an education that benefits everyone?
- Does prison rehabilitate offenders?
- Is there still a clear working class and middle class divide in the
- Why do girls attain higher grades than boys at school?
The subject encourages you to study analytically what is perceived
as normal and deconstruct it to find the causes of these patterns,
often by looking at ethnicity, gender, age and class. You need
to be able to look at these causes from a range of theories from
across the ideological spectrum including Feminism, Marxism and
Conservatism. A significant aspect of the AS level is methodological
research. Using a range of quantitative and qualitative techniques
you learn how to collect and analyse data effectively accounting for
fallibility and bias.
Five GSCEs at grade A* - C including English
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Marine Academy directly.