Chemistry A Level at The King's School, Grantham
In the Chemistry department we aim to encourage interest and enjoyment in Chemistry and to allow students to develop a knowledge and understanding of chemical concepts and processes appropriate to their level of study and suited to their individual abilities.
We try to ensure that all students become equipped with an understanding and knowledge of the applications of Chemistry, enabling them to become confident citizens and to participate fully in the modern technological society. Further, we wish to give those who are particularly interested or talented the best possible start to a career in the world of Chemistry.
- Carbonyls, Amines and Polymers
- Anlaysis and Synthesis
- Physical Chemistry: Acids, Buffers, Rate orders and Equlibria
- Physical Chemistry: Thermodynamics, Entropy and Fuel Cells
- Chemistry - Transition
The school’s Published Admissions Number (PAN) is 30. This is the maximum number of places which will be available in Year 12 for candidates who have attended schools other than The King’s School in Year 11. The criteria for admission to the Sixth Form will be:
- 6 GCSE passes in different subjects at Grade B or better (to include Maths and English), with Grade B or better in at least 3 subjects to be studied at A Level;
- A viable programme of study of either 3 or more GCE AS Level subjects (excluding General Studies) or an Advanced Diploma plus one GCE AS Level subject.
If there are more applicants than places, places will be offered on the basis of overall GCSE performance calculated on a points system where A* = 58 points, A = 52 points, B = 46 points, C = 40 points, D = 34 points, E = 28 points, F = 22 points, G = 16 points, subject to the following:
- an applicant must meet the standards outlined in bullet point 1 above.
- priority will be given to candidates in the *care of the local authority.
In the event of a tie for the final place the following criterion will apply; distance from **home to school measured in a straight line by Microsoft MapPoint software between the post office address point of the home and the post office address point of the school.
If there are more applicants than places available in a particular AS Level subject, places in that subject will be allocated according to the following criteria in the order shown:
- GCSE grade in that subject (where applicable);
- Overall GCSE score (in terms of average points per subject entry).
- 3 Written papers in total comprising past exam questions
- 2 Written tests
- Written test papers made from existing examination questions
- Exam questions
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The King's School, Grantham directly.