Hairdressing Diploma (Pre apprenticeship) at Solihull College & University Centre
Our Level 1 Diploma in Hairdressing is a specialist vocationally related introductory qualification designed for those interested beginning a career in hairdressing with little or no previous experience of working in a salon.
There will be the opportunity to apply for an Apprenticeship programme in hair and that this level 1 will provide a good foundation to an apprenticeship and progression on to our level 2 program.
During this course you will study:
- Create and maintain retail displays in the salon
- Follow health and safety in the salon
- Introduction to the Hair and Beauty sector
- Presenting a professional image in a salon
- Salon reception duties
- Working with others in the Hair and Beauty sector
- Shampoo and conditioning
- Styling men's hair
- Styling women's hair
- Colour hair using temporary colour
- Create a Hair and Beauty image
- The art of dressing hair
- Hair plaiting Personal
–personal tutor /one to one target setting
–Math’s and English
To gain entry to this course you need:
- Satisfactory reference
- Successful interview
With a D/3 grade in English literacy
Assessment is by practical observations, course work, assignments and external tests.
Most learners who are successful on this course will progress to Level 2 NVQ hairdressing or barbering, either full time in college or in the work place as an apprentice.
A minimum of 100% attendance is needed to complete the course however, One week of compulsory work experience, Additional costs for this course are as follows.:- Portfolio file is required :
- Hairdressing kit: TBC
- Uniform: TBC
- You will need to pay for your Kit and uniform
- Good levels of English and Maths are important for your success in your course, your chosen vocation and life. Throughout your course you will continue to develop your English and Maths skills in your vocational classes. If you haven't achieved an A*/9 - C/4 grade in English or Maths at GCSE, or a Level 2 Functional Skill, you will also be working towards a qualification in English or Maths at a level that will enable you to progress towards these grades additional one to one sessions are available from our learning zone and are arranged by you and your tutor around your time table.
If you have Learning Difficulty or Disability please let us know when you apply.
You will be offered support in your interview.
If you need help completing your application we can help with this too.
Solihull College and University Centre offers full time and part time courses for businesses and residents in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton, Coventry, Warwickshire and the whole of the West Midlands.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Solihull College & University Centre directly.