English Language GCSE at Brooklands College
Who is the course suitable for?
Any students who need to improve their GCSE English grade.
The course follows the Edexcel syllabus and consists of 3 units over 3 terms.
Students will be developing skills such as:
• Comparing texts on a set theme
• Writing a review or article to suit audience and purpose
• Writing a speech, script or narrative
• Studying spoken language
• Giving a brief presentation and participating in a discussion and role-play
• Analysing and responding to extracts of the set text ‘Touching the Void’
A grade D at GCSE English Language or equivalent would be preferable.
Students with less than a D grade at GCSE English Language will take an assessment exercise. Depending on the results of this they may have to do a year’s preparatory work on their English before taking the GCSE in their 2nd year at college.
Two units are assessed through four controlled assessments, where coursework is produced under exam conditions, while the third unit prepares students for the final exam. Students will also be assessed through three speaking and listening tasks.
• Reading and writing tasks (40%)
• Speaking and listening tasks (20%)
• Reading task - set text (20%)
• Writing task (20%)
It is highly desirable that each student has a copy of the set text ‘Touching the Void’ by Joe Simpson.
A C grade in GCSE English counts towards the minimum entry requirements for any Level 3 course in the College and has become crucial for progression to Higher Education or employment.
To find out more about this qualification, contact us, ask your Connexions Personal Adviser or school/college careers staff. To find out more about this qualification, contact us, ask your Connexions Personal Adviser or school/college careers staff.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Brooklands College directly.