Agriculture with Livestock and Machinery Options – Level 3 Extended Diploma at Sparsholt College
On this modern and exciting course you’ll gain the knowledge, understanding and skills the agricultural industry needs.
In the first year you’ll develop practical knowledge and techniques so that in the second year you’ll be ready to concentrate on enterprise management and specialise with optional livestock and arable units.
The course includes two work placements of three weeks each giving you real industry experience and the opportunity to put your skills learnt on the College farm, dairy, sheep and pig units into practice. Visits to businesses and events will provide an in-depth view of national and international agriculture and you’ll also get involved in busy College events such as the Lambing Weekend and Countryside Day which are great fun and the ideal opportunity to develop vital communication and customer facing skills.Topics Covered
• Agricultural business management and diversification
• Machinery management, operation and maintenance
• Workshop practice, e.g. welding
• Agricultural livestock production, science and management dairy, beef, sheep and pigs
• Agricultural crop, forage and grassland management
• Plant and soil science
• Environmental sustainability
• Estate skills
• Farm duties
Five GCSEs at grade C or above including English, Maths and Science/Level 2 Diploma in Agriculture at Merit level with Functional Skills in English and Maths at Level 2 or GCSE grade C.
• A degree in Agriculture Land Use
• Level 3 or 4 qualifications in work-based agriculture.
• Farm manager or assistant farm manager
• Industries such as agronomy, nutrition consultancy, contract farming, grain merchandise, machinery dealing, feed sales, supply trade
• Livestock or arable unit manager
• Head tractor driver
• Head stockperson working with cattle, sheep or pigs
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Sparsholt College directly.