French AS/A level at Highbury Grove School
It is widely accepted that a working knowledge of a Foreign Language enhances job opportunities, is an asset which broadens your horizons both socially and culturally and also widens your choice of University courses. It is, therefore, strongly advised that students continue with a foreign language beyond GCSE, to A-Level.
Why take a Foreign Language at A Level?
- You like it
- You're good at it
- You want to be able to use it when you go abroad
- It is highly regarded by Universities and employers
- You want to show that you have a wide range of skills, not just excel in one area
- It will give you a wider choice of careers in the future, both here and abroad
- Learning a language is a skill for life
A-level French helps students develop confident, effective communication skills in French and a thorough understanding of the culture of countries and communities where French is spoken. It develops an interest in, and enthusiasm for, language learning and encourages students to consider their study of the language in a broader context.
This four-unit specification requires students to develop their ability to write and speak in French with accurate grammar and syntax for a range of purposes and to understand written or spoken French in a variety of contexts and genres.
This course is particularly suitable for students who have studied GCSE French or the AQA Certificate in French and who wish to study French at a higher level.
- Unit 1: A two hour written examination, assessing listening, reading and writing
- Unit 2: A 35 minute speaking test (including 20 minutes of preparation)
- Unit 3: A two and a half hour written examination, assessing listening, reading and writing
- Unit 4: A 35 minute speaking test (including 20 minutes of preparation)
Six GCSEs at C or above, including English and a minimum grade B in French.
Careers using Languages include:
Law, Hotel Management, Travel and Tourism, Translating, Interpreting, Journalism, Teaching, Sales and Marketing,Banking, Public Relations, Personal Assistant, Secretary, Exporting/Importing.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Highbury Grove School directly.