Sports Performance and Excellence in Sport - BTEC National L3 Extended Certificate/Diploma at The Milton Keynes Academy
This vocational course is available to any student, whether or not you have studied BTEC Sport previously.
BTEC’s are qualifications that are designed to provide specialist work related qualifications in a range of sectors. They give learners the knowledge, understanding and skills that they need to prepare them for employment.
The BTEC Sport Diploma has been designed to build on learning from Key Stage 4, for those who may wish to explore a vocational route throughout Key Stage 5. The BTEC Sport Diploma also provides a good foundation for learners intending to progress to higher education.
Learners studying BTEC Sport will have the opportunity to improve a variety of skills:
- Application of knowledge and understanding learners will improve their knowledge and understanding of the sporting industry and use to meet the criteria required to pass their assignments.
- Development of practical and technical skills learners will participate in a variety of activities and assess their level of progress and performance in order to improve their practical ability.
- Personal development for occupational roles learners will learn about a variety of industries in the sporting sector.
- Application of generic skills through completion of the assignments
There are two externally assessed units. Unit 1 has a written exam and Unit 2 is assessed by an Edexcel set task. You will produce a portfolio of coursework that will be assessed regularly. A grading scale of Pass, Merit or Distinction is applied to all internally assessed units.
Your portfolio of evidence will show that you have met all of the assessment objectives. This will be evidenced through practical assignments, oral presentations/ demonstrations, written reports and project work. Submission deadlines are set throughout the year. You will need to ensure that you are organised and enjoy spending time working through a range of individual tasks.
- The BTEC National Extended Certificate course is the equivalent of one A Level and requires 4 units to be studies over 2 years. 3 are mandatory. 67% is externally assessed.
- The National Diploma in Sports Performance and Excellence is the equivalent of two A Levels and requires 10 units to be studies over 2 years. 9 are mandatory. 33% is externally assessed.
- Pass is equivalent to an E at A Level
- Merit is equivalent to a C at A Level
- Distinction is equivalent to an A at A Level
- Distinction* is equivalent to an A* at A Level
4 GCSEs A*-C (or equivalent), including minimum grade D in English & Maths
Year 1 Units
Unit 2 Fitness Training and Programming for Health, Sport and Well-being ( Set Task)
Unit 27 The Athlete’s Lifestyle
Unit 28 Technical & Tactical Demands of Sport
Unit 5 Application of Fitness Training
Unit 6 Sports Psychology
Year 2 Units
Unit 3 Professional Development in the Sports Industry
Unit 1 Anatomy & Physiology (Written Exam)
Unit 8 Coaching for Performance
Unit 25 Rules, Regulations and Officiating in Sport
Unit 28 Sports Performance Analysis
Some learners may wish to gain the qualification in order to enter a specialist area of employment or to progress to a level 4 programme. Other learners may want to extend the specialism they studied on the BTEC Level 3 Certificate, BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma or BTEC Level 3 90-credit Diploma programme. A qualification in BTEC Sport provides learners with a wide range of transferable skills, which are important in many career fields such as:
- Sports Coaching
- Sports Development
- Sports Therapy
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Milton Keynes Academy directly.