Geology at Ringwood School Academy
This course aims to develop and interest in and enthusiasm for geology by developing knowledge and understanding of different areas of geology and how they relate to each other.
In turn students will appreciate how society makes decisions about scientific issues and how the sciences contribute to the success of the economy and society.
Students will also develop and demonstrate a deeper appreciation of geodiversity, the finite nature of the Earth’s resources and the need for geoconservation.
AS Geology has 3 units:
- Unit: 1 Global Tectonics, including Earth structure, earthquakes, continental drift, sea floor spreading and tectonics and geological structures.
- Unit 2: Rocks, Processes and Products, the rock cycle, igneous processes and products, sedimentary processes and products and metamorphic processes and products.
- Unit 3: Practical Skills in Geology centre based and fieldwork tasks.
A2 Geology has 3 units:
- Unit 4 Environmental Geology, water supply, energy resources, metallic mineral deposits and engineering geology.
- Unit 5: Evolution of Life, Earth and Climate, formation of fossils and adaptation of organisms to live in different environments, fossil evidence of the evolution of organism and mass extinctions, dating methods and interpretation of geological maps and changing climate.
- Unit 6: Practical Skills in Geology centre based and fieldwork tasks
- C grade in a Science GCSE on a Higher tier paper.
- Unit 1, 2, 4 and 5 are externally examined written papers.
- Unit 3 and 5 are internally assessed and will include the assessment of practical skills.
Students will have the opportunity to participate in many field courses, one of which is a residential trip to Italy at the end of Year 12 which is not compulsory and costs approx. £550.
Day trips will also incur a small cost to cover travel.
Geology will provide you with a broad base of knowledge and a wide range of practical
skills, opening an enormous variety of study and career opportunities.
A Levels can lead to exciting opportunities in Higher Education.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ringwood School Academy directly.