Equine Studies Level 3 at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
Are you looking to start a career in an equine environment? Would you like to develop your skills at an advanced level?
This course builds on your existing knowledge of the equine and animal care sector. It prepares you to operate at a management level, whilst also understanding the practical aspects of caring for horses. It also provides a vocational route into Higher Education.
The course is suitable for students progressing from Equine Studies Level 2 qualification, or from a Level 2 Work-based course. It is also ideal if you are proceeding from GCSE achievements, or from relevant experience.
The course reflects the equine industry's need for competent, well-trained individuals. You will explore all aspects of horse care and management, with a focus on practical training and industry experience. You will benefit from the excellent facilities of our Glynllifon campus and the expertise of our staff.
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Practical work, with some classroom work to develop understanding
- The Glynllifon site is 750 acres of farm and woodland, with its own indoor riding centre and animal centre, allowing your studies to be carried out in a realistic setting.
- 4 GCSEs grade C or above which includes Welsh or English language, Mathematics and Science.
- Suitability to the course displayed in an interview with the course tutor where your experience in the subject area, enthusiasm and willingness to learn will be considered
- Level 2 qualification with Distinction grade in a relevant subject
- Evidence of basic skills ability that will enable the learner to independently cope with the academic requirements of a level 2 vocational qualification. This evidence can be produced from either previous course work or from an aptitude test. This evidence will be assessed by a member of the College's Basic Skills team.
Places on the programme are subject to successful interview.
All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The programme will be assessed through a blend of the following:
- Practical assessment for most units
- Portfolio assignments to show your understanding.
Successful completion of the course will give you a range of options.
The qualification is equivalent to 3 A Levels, and many students have progressed into Higher Education to study HNDs, Foundation degrees or Honours degrees.
You could proceed into employment, and will have the skills to work at an advanced level. You would also have the option of studying a Higher Education course whilst you work. You will be able to discuss your career with your personal tutor or the careers guidance team.
You could proceed onto a number of programmes at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai, including Foundation Degrees and other qualifications.
- Equine Dentist
- Equine Nutritionist
- Equine Organisations Officer
- Groom/Stable Hand
- Horse Trainer and Behaviourist
- Horse Trekking Centre Worker
- Riding Instructor
Programme code: 0303A03B
Depending on the campus, students may be able to access elements of the programme in both English and Welsh through some programme learning materials being made available bilingually. Details will be provided to you at interview.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.