Spanish A-Level at Sir John Talbot's Technology College
The course is designed to enable you to:
- Develop an interest in, and enthusiasm for, language learning.
- Develop understanding of the language in a variety of contexts and genres.
- Communicate confidently, clearly and effectively in the language.
- Develop awareness and understanding of the contemporary society, cultural background and heritage of the countries where the language is spoken.
- Take your place in a multilingual global society.
Will this course suit me?
You will enjoy the course if you:
- Are actively interested in and committed to learning a language.
- Have enjoyed your language studies in the past and already have a solid basic knowledge of the language.
- Enjoy communicating with people, are curious, open-minded and interested in foreign travel.
- Are keen to further your knowledge of social and cultural issues in the target language country. Ideally you will have at least a grade B at GCSE in the subject you wish to study
We ask that students applying to the Sixth Form have a minimum of 5 GCSEs A*– C Grade and aim for a B Grade in their chosen subject of study (predicted grades).
It is possible to choose some subjects if you have not studied them for GCSE.
You will be invited to attend a short, informal interview with the Head of Sixth Form to discuss your application and talk through your options. All places offered will be conditional until you have received your GCSE results in August and enrolment will take place on GCSE Results Day.
Many students go on to take Spanish at degree level. These can be single, joint or combined honours degrees at university.
Languages combine particularly well with other subjects, such as, Law, Economics, Engineering, Science and Business Studies.
Languages qualifications can lead to jobs in Translating, Interpreting, Business, Finance, International Organisations (such as the UN and the EU), Sales and Marketing, Teaching and many more!
Language students who follow careers in these fields find that their skills are highly marketable and in great demand.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Sir John Talbot's Technology College directly.