Biology AS and A level at Frome Community College
Biology graduates have some of the widest careers prospects, with environmental and biotechnology areas being major players. AS biology is one year long, with exams at the end. A Level biology lasts two years, with exams at the end of the second year.
AS and first year of A Level
• Biological molecules
• Organisms exchange substances with their environment
• Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms.
Second year of A Level
• Energy transfers in and between organisms
• Organisms respond to changes in their internal and external environments
• Genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems
• The control of gene expression.
Practicals will give you the skills and confidence needed to investigate the way living things behave and work. It will also ensure that if you choose to study a biology based subject at university, you’ll have the practical skills needed to carry out successful experiment in your degree.
5 GCSE grades A* - C including English and maths, grade B in maths and in science core/additional or separate biology or chemistry
There is no coursework on this course. However, your performance during practicals will be asessed.
There are three exams at the end of the two years for A Level, all of which are two hours long. At least 15% of the marks for A Level biology are based on what you learned in your practicals.
The AS has two exams at the end of the year. Both are one-and-a-half hours long.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Frome Community College directly.