Level 1 Introductory Diploma in Caring for Children Under Five at North Hertfordshire College
Our childcare courses include lots of opportunities for you to get hands-on experience of the world of work, including:
- Work placements with businesses like Busy Bees, Kinders Mill Day Nursery, Strathmore School, St Andrews and Weston Way Nursery and Keech Hospice Care
- Attending work placement two days a week with children aged 0-8 (level 2 and 3 childcare students)
- Engagement with guest speakers from businesses like Busy Bees, TUI Group, Ofsted, parents and home based practitioners
- Enrichment activities such as outdoor classrooms, visits to Nursery World Exhibition, the UCAS convention and museums linking to child development.
Childcare in nursery settings: nursery assistants work with babies and young children from birth up to the age of five. You’ll learn how to plan and supervise play and learning activities like arts and crafts, music and cooking, as well as how to develop the children’s numeracy and literacy skills. You’ll also learn how to feed and change children as well as monitor and record their progress to feed back to parents and carers.
Through this course you’ll learn about:
- Developing your personal progression plan
- Providing activities to support children’s needs
- Encouraging children to eat healthily
- Supporting children’s literacy and numeracy.
To join this course, you’ll need four GCSEs at grade E or above – including maths and English grade E or entry level functional skills.
This course is assessed through assignments and projects. You’ll only sit exams if you’re also doing maths or English GCSE or functional skills.
Price on application.
There are no tuition fees for students aged 16-18 years.
If you are over 18, please speak to a client advisor.
Possible charges for any trips, visits, materials and uniform if required offered during the year will be independent of the tuition fees or any other student finance. Financial help may be available for these costs, please contact Student Services for more information.
Having successfully completed this course, you’ll be able to progress to:
- Level 2 courses including the Introductory diploma in caring for children under five
- Paid employment in the sector.
Please visit our website for further information - www.nhc.ac.uk
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact North Hertfordshire College directly.