English Literature AS/A2 Level at St Philip Howard Catholic High School
Anyone who is interested in studying for an English, Law or Humanities based degree should consider this course.
English Literature can be studied with Language as separate, com-plementary subjects, whilst Literature can be a useful opinion-based and discursive subject to act as a foil to scientific subjects.
Additionally, the analytical skills required are testing and therefore recognised as being valuable for any given degree course.
Introduces candidates to explore and analyse the written word and aims to encourage students to:
• read widely and independently both set texts and others that they have selected for themselves
• engage creatively with a substantial body of texts and ways of responding to them
• develop and effectively apply their knowledge of literary analysis and evaluation in speech and writing
• explore the contexts of the texts they are reading and others´ interpretations of them
• deepen their understanding of the changing traditions of literature in English.
• develop creative and informed responses to literary texts, using appropriate terminology and concepts, and coherent, accurate written expression.
B grade in English Literature recommended.
AS – Two papers (50% each, both 1 hour 30 minutes): Literary genres – Drama; Literary genres – Prose and Poetry, either focusing on tragedy or comedy and including the study of a play by Shakespeare.
A – Two papers (40% each – Paper 1 Literary Genres (2 hrs. 30 mins.); Paper 2 texts and Genres (3 hrs.) Non–exam Assessment (20%, two essays) Theory and Independence.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Philip Howard Catholic High School directly.