Accessibility links

English GCSE at Queensbury School

Course description

English is one of the core subjects in the National Curriculum and is studied by all students in Years 10 and 11. All students will follow a National Curriculum English course and will be examined at the end of Year 11. English Literature will be taught to some students where it is felt that this is appropriate for their attainment and ability.

Course content

Success in this subject is vital regardless of what career ambitions you might have. Use of language is the means of understanding all subjects. The key to language development is to be aware of what words and ideas would best suit any situation. Follow carefully the courses prepared by your teachers, read frequently - magazines, newspapers, stories, catalogues - anything that you are interested in. Remember that you cannot think clearly without lots of practice with words.

Assessment

The English examination will consist of two written examinations at the end of Year 11. These carry 60% of the marks. The remaining 40% will be made up from a coursework folder which will contain a teacher's summary of the student's oral work and four pieces of coursework.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Queensbury School directly.

Last updated date: 21 October 2014
Provider logo

Key information

  • Start date: Next September
  • Duration: 2 years

Venues