Outdoor Adventure Leadership and Education Level 2 Diploma at Bridgwater College
The course is for those who like to be out and about in search of physical challenges and have a desire to work within the Outdoor Adventure industry. It is designed to develop individuals into confident and successful leaders in outdoor and adventurous activities.
You will study six different units which combine theory and practice of Outdoor Adventure activities to develop basic skills and knowledge. Day trips are a feature of the course where practical assessment takes place.
Unit Title Brief description:
- Anatomy & Physiology aims for you to learn how the body functions and linking this knowledge to exercise.
- Psychology for performance explores how concepts such as motivation, personality, and aggression can impact on performance and identify ways to make it work.
- Practical Outdoor Leadership aims to develop your communication, organisation to plan and lead activities such as team building, problem solving and high ropes.
- Business Skills provide you with an insight into the basic business principles and dealing with customers when working in a commercial centre.
- Nutrition for Performance makes you realise how important nutrition is to perform in sport and outdoor activities.
- Planning and running a major event will enable you to learn the concepts and management skills needed to plan and run activities and events.
These six units of studies are complemented with additional qualifications which are part of your programme of study; these are as follow:
- British Canoeing Union Paddle Star 1 or 2
- Mountain-bike Instructor Award Scheme Gear awards
Emergency First Aid at work
- At least 5 GCSEs grades in the A* - E range, with at least one at grade C or above,
- Or equivalent vocational qualifications
- Or progress from an appropriate Level 1 vocational style programme.
Assessments are continuous throughout the course and are achieved via a variety of assessment methods - coursework, written reports, delivery of practical sessions, practical performance, observations, group work, presentations, etc.
The course aims to prepare you to progress on the two year Level 3 Diploma in Outdoor Adventure Education & Leadership.
Alternatively, successful completion of the L2 Diploma in Outdoor Adventure & Education can also allow you to progress onto the following two year Level 3 study programmes:
- Public and Emergency Services
- Sport (Exercise & Science)
- Sport (Coaching, Development and Fitness)
- Sport Apprenticeship programmes
There are also possibilities of progressing directly into the Outdoor Adventure industry at Assistant Instructor level.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bridgwater College directly.