A Level Geography at The Ellen Wilkinson School for Girls
Unit 1: Physical and Human Geography
- Rivers, floods and management
- Cold environments, coastal environments and hot desert environments and their margins
- Global population change
- Food supply issues, energy issues and health issues.
Assessment: Externally assessed 2 hour written paper worth 70% of AS and 35% of A2.
Unit 2: Applied Geography
- Basic, investigative, ICT, graphical, cartographical and statistical skills
- Research skills and the assessment of AS fieldwork
Assessment: Externally assessed written paper worth 30% of AS and 15% of A2.
The A2 specification has 2 units:
Unit 3: Contemporary Geographical Issues
- Plate tectonics and associated hazards
- Weather and climate and associated hazards
- Challenges facing ecosystems
- World cities – evolution or revolution?
- Development and globalisation
- Contemporary conflicts and challenges.
Assessment: externally assessed 2 hour written paper worth 30% of final grade.
Unit 4A: Geography Fieldwork Investigation
Structured short and extended questions based on candidates' own fieldwork investigation.
B grade at GCSE preferably C grade in English also
Many students have gone on to do degrees such as Geography, Meteorlogy, Planning, Ecology, Law, Medicine, Dentistry,
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Ellen Wilkinson School for Girls directly.