AS and A2 Level Chemistry at The Catholic High School, Chester A Specialist Science College
A Level Chemistry is a rigorous, challenging and ultimately rewarding course which develops students’
· Unit 1: Foundation Chemistry 33.3%
· Unit 2: Chemistry in Action 47%
· Unit 3: Internal Assessment Investigation (ISA) and Practical Skills in AS Chemistry 20%
A2 (including 50% of AS Result)
· Unit 4: Kinetics, Equilibria and Organic Chemistry 20%
· Unit 5: Energetics, Redox and Inorganic Chemistry 20%
· Unit 6: Internal Assessment Investigation (ISA) and Practical Skills in A2 Chemistry 10%
Your GCSE results are very important. Not only do you need good results to come into Sixth Form, they
are also the first thing that an employer or University Admissions Tutor will look at on your application
We expect applicants to Sixth Form intending to study Advanced courses to have a minimum of 5
grades A*-C on their GCSE certificate. You should be aiming for high grades in those subjects you are
choosing at AS level, with Grade B or above. If you did not have the opportunity to study this subject
previously, the teacher will look at your performance in related subjects.
If your certificate is mostly As and Bs you will cope very well with 4 AS levels leading to 3 A2 levels. If it
is mostly Cs you must think carefully: it would be better to do 3.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Catholic High School, Chester A Specialist Science College directly.