Sport (Football Performance and Excellence) BTEC 90-credit Level 3 Diploma at Wirral Metropolitan College
The course has been designed to prepare you for a career in sport, sports development and sports coaching.
All aspects of the course will be delivered with an emphasis on Football.
This qualification, the BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Sport, will be delivered with the emphasis on football.
Wirral Met College Football Development Centre combines this qualification with practical skills and technical/tactical development, coaching and the option of competitive or recreational weekly football fixtures depending on ability.You will study the following:
- Principles of Anatomy & Physiology in Football
- The Physiology of Fitness in Football
- Assessing Risk in Sport
- Fitness Training & Programming for Elite Footballers
- Fitness Testing for Professional Footballers
- Football Coaching
- Practical Team Sports
- Nutritional requirements & Lifestyle of a Footballer
- Instructing physical activity & Exercise
- Psychology in Football
- Work Experience
- Technical & Tactical requirements for Football
- Current issues in Football
You will take part in a variety of activities as part of the course, examples of these include:
- College Football Development Centre representation in The Merseyside Schools & College's League (depending on playing ability)
- Opportunities to play against professional football academies
- Opportunity to gain your FA Level 1 Certificate in Coaching
- Coach mentoring scheme through Dame Kelly Holmes Foundation
- Intra-college competitions
- Manchester City FC stadium tour
- National Football Museum visit
- Residential visit to London including a visit to Arsenal FC for a festival of football and stadium tours of Emirates and Wembley stadiums
- Training session at The FA's national football centre St George's Park (training facility of the England national squad)
- Adventurous activities which may include gorge walking, abseiling, rock climbing, canoeing, and kayaking.
- Planning and leading sports coaching sessions to local primary school children.
- Work experience placements
- Priority will be given to those aged 16-18 years old.
- You should have a keen interest in football and aspire to pursuing a career in leading sport and active leisure activities.
- You will be invited for a practical assessment to determine your current football level.
- 4 GCSEs graded D-G, including Englishs and maths.
Prospective students will need to complete Functional Skills assessments in English and maths. Students must show a profile, at a minimum standard, of Entry Level 3.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course.
The course is assessed using a combination of practical and assignment based methods.
There will be a fee payable to contribute to the residential costs for overnight expeditions and visits, costs will be advised at interview.
At the end of the course you could progress to higher education, university, football scholarships, employment in the sports and fitness industry.
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A*-C in English and maths already
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wirral Metropolitan College directly.