Cambridge Pre-U English Literature at King Edward VI Grammar School, Chelmsford
To study English literature critically, to interact with texts, and to enjoy and develop an interest in literature.
Paper 1 – Poetry and Prose set texts
Paper 2 - Drama set texts
Paper 3 - Comment and analysis (unseen)
Paper 4 - Personal Investigation (Coursework: 3500-4000 words) (all Papers are worth 25% of the final grade each)
- Students are expected to possess a love of English and be eager to develop further an enthusiastic commitment to reading and writing about challenging literary texts
- Students will be expected to have relevant study skills – making notes, undertaking research, participating in discussions, making presentations of various types, reading and preparing ahead.
- Students will be encouraged to read as deeply and as widely as possible in and around English, in Histories of the appropriate periods, criticism of different kinds and other works by the same and comparable authors.
- Students are encouraged, whenever possible, to attend appropriate lectures and other presentations and to take in theatrical, cinematic, audio or other versions or commentaries.
- The Pre-U is a linear course with an interim assessment at the end of Year 12 which is validated by C.I.E. All 4 Units are taken at the end of Year 13, with retakes possible in November.
- The study of a minimum of 8 texts is required; some are tested by examination and some by coursework. All the texts read and studied will be responded to, during the course and in the examinations, in broad-ranging essays and in shorter passage questions.
- For Unit 3, guidance in criticism and analysis will proceed from obvious models to students’ own attempts at comparable efforts.
The opportunities for Pre-U English students to make a good career or Higher Education use of a good grade have never been more plentiful. English opens doors in journalism and the media, as well as being an excellent general degree for most professional careers.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact King Edward VI Grammar School, Chelmsford directly.