Accessibility links

A Level Music - Option D at Arthur Mellows Village College

Course description

Why should I study Music

Do you love playing an instrument and performing?

Do like exploring and creating new music? 

Do enjoy listening to music from a range of styles?

Do you wonder about how and why music has developed the way it has?

If yes, then the A Level Music course is for you. Where else can you play music and get coursework credit for it, create and record your own music, listen to music in class, and learn about different styles of music?

 

Course content

What will I do during the course?

Students who choose to study A Level Music study three areas: Performing, Composing and Developing Musical Understanding. The majority of the performance preparation would be completed at home, hopefully with the support of an instrumental teacher. The composition will be completed in class, using Sibelius or Logic. This can be in a traditional style, or use music technology. Musical understanding and appraisal will be taught through the study of music of many different styles, and students will develop a deep understanding of the music.

 

 

Entry requirements

What qualifications do I need to start?

It is recommended the students have GCSE Music, or Grade 3 music theory before embarking on the A Level Music course. However, students with limited music reading skills will be considered for the A Level Music course. It is also essential that students are confident performers BEFORE starting the course. A minimum of Grade 4 standard should have already been achieved.

Assessment

How will I be assessed?

The A Level Music course is a balance of coursework and examinations. Coursework is worth 60% of the course: The remaining 40% of the course is assessed in a 2 hour examination. The course caters for a wide range of musicians. Students are free to choose any instrument(s) and/or voice(s) and perform music in any style. The level of performance is expected to correspond to a minimum of Grade 5 (AS) and Grade 6 (A2) of graded examinations. Students are expected to have some music theory knowledge and skills. An ability to read music is an integral tool in understanding how music works. Music reading skills play an important role in all three units of the course, especially in Developing Musical Understanding.

Future opportunities

Where can it lead?

The A Level Music course provides an excellent basis for lifelong learning and for Higher Education courses in Music, and many students who take A Level Music continue their studies at university. The three units of the course can lead to studies in performance, composition, musicology, ethnomusicology, sound engineering, conducting, popular music and jazz and music education.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Arthur Mellows Village College directly.

Last updated date: 09 November 2015
Provider logo

Key information

  • Start date: Next September

Venues