Advanced Apprenticeship in Professional Cookery at Rotherham College
With a dash of determination, a pinch of perseverance and a sprinkle of skill, you’ll have the perfect recipe to start a career in the catering and hospitality industry.
Gaining experience in our student training restaurant – The Wharncliffe – you’ll have the opportunity to learn in a fast-paced restaurant open to the public. The training restaurant has seen a £1 million pound investment into both the facilities and its appearance; giving it a modern edge and reflecting the commercial eating industry.
Previous catering and hospitality students have worked at a series of prestigious events, from serving the Royal Family at the 2012 Olympics, to working with celebrity chef Jamie Oliver.
You’ll be provided with numerous exciting opportunities to gain experience that will make you stand out in one of the biggest industries in the UK. You’ll get hands on experience which will prepare you for a culinary career, whether you want to follow in the footsteps of your favourite celebrity chef, become a restaurant manager for an established brand, or travel the world – the possibilities are endless.
This Advanced Apprenticeship is ideal for those looking for a supervisory role in the hospitality industry. Whether you want to become a restaurant or bar manager, work as a head receptionist or concierge, or start up your own business, this course will give you the leadership skills you will need in order to succeed.
What will I study?
You will study a selection of the below units after discussion with your employer and assessor regarding which would be most relevant.
• Working within a team, providing support for other colleagues and developing working relationships
• Health, hygiene, safety and security of the working environment, including food safety practices
•Development of recipes and menus • Supervision of food and drink services including deliveries, receipt, storage and dispatch of goods
• Supervision of housekeeping operations like linen services and vending services
• Reception services including reservations, booking services, portering and concierge operations
• Improving customer relationships, monitoring and solving customer problems
• Support learning and development within own area of responsibility
• Supervision of the use of technological equipment in hospitality services •Supervision of practices for handling payments
• Employment rights and responsibilities in the hospitality, leisure, travel and tourism sector
• NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Food and Beverage Service (or other related Level 2 qualifications) or suitable industry experience
•You will also need excellent communication skills and be required to successfully complete an interview with a course tutor
•Commercial work experience •We can help you find the employment you need to start this Apprenticeship
You will be assessed through the observation of your practical skills in the realistic work environment of the Wharncliffe Restaurant. You will also answer oral and written questions, structure and write reports, deliver training sessions, briefings and presentations, and record professional discussions
You will be assessed through the observation of your practical skills in the realistic work environment of the Wharncliffe Restaurant. You will also answer oral and written questions, structure and write reports, deliver training sessions, briefings and presentations, and record professional discussions.
• Progress to Higher Education within the hospitality area
• On completion of the qualification, you could progress into industry as a supervisor or trainee manager dependent upon additional work experience gained alongside studying
For more details please contact the Enquiry Team on:
T: 01709 722777
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.