Business Studies A level at Wilmslow High School
This course takes a holistic approach to the subject of business. It demonstrates the interrelated nature of business using business models, theories and techniques to support analysis of contemporary business issues and situations. Students will hopefully be engaged through topics and issues that are relevant in today’s society – they will study key contemporary developments such as digital technology, business ethics and globalisation.
Year 12 Subject content
Students will study business in a variety of contexts (eg large/small, UK focused/global, service/manufacturing) and consider:
- the importance of the context of business in relation to decision making
- the interrelated nature of business activities and how they affect competitiveness
- the competitive environment and the markets in which businesses operate
- the influences on functional decisions and plans including ethical and environmental issues
- the factors that might determine whether a decision is successful eg the quality of data and the degree of uncertainty
- how technology is changing the way decisions are made and how businesses operate and compete
- the impact on stakeholders of functional decisions and their response to such decisions
- use of non-quantitative and quantitative data in decision making (including the interpretation of index numbers and calculations such as ratios and percentages).
Year 13 Subject Content
Strategic decision making (A-level only)
The study of strategic decision making will build on the year 12 study of decision making in the functional areas.
Students will consider:
- the impact of technology on strategic decision making
- the influences of Corporate Social Responsibility, ethical and environmental issues on strategic decisions
- the difficulties in forecasting future trends
- the importance of assessing feasibility and risk when making strategic decisions
- the impact on stakeholders of strategic decisions and their response to such decisions.
It is not necessary to have studied Business Studies at GCSE level. However, if it was studied at KS4, a C is required to further it to A level. Due to the extended essays and financial analysis required at examination Cs in both English and mathematics at GCSE are required, while Bs in these subjects are strongly recommended.
At AS level students are assessed by two written papers at the end of year 12. Each paper has a 50% weighting.
Students wishing to take Business at Advanced level are assessed at the end of year 13 with 3 written papers. These examinations assess students learning over the two year period as the AS qualification does not contribute to the A level.
The AS units focus on small to medium-sized businesses operating within national, as opposed to international, markets.
Business Studies A level
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wilmslow High School directly.