Entry to the Uniformed Services - Level 3 NCFE Diploma at Vision West Nottinghamshire College
This course provides excellent preparation if you wish to enter the uniformed public services such as the fire service, police force, armed forces or prison service. You will gain an insight into all aspects of the job and the entry tests of the various services.
- Leadership and teamwork in the public services
- Government, policies and the public services
- Physical preparation, health and lifestyle for the public services
- Citizenship, diversity and the public services
- Skills for land-based outdoor and adventurous activities
Functional Skills/GCSE in English and maths at an appropriate level will also be studied if you have not attained a GCSE grade C or above.
The programme of study will include a mandatory work placement which you will be expected to arrange and complete with an industry relevant employer. As part of your studies you will also be expected to participate in work experience, volunteering and fund raising for charities.
- Four GCSEs with at least 4 points (grade C) including English or maths.
You will need to attend an interview with the tutor before being accepted on to the course. You may also need to supply at least one written reference from a teacher or employer (in some cases two) and/or your current school or college report.
Mature students (those aged 21 or over) who do not have the qualifications required for entry may still be eligible, subject to an interview. Relevant experience, a strong portfolio of work and a commitment to the subject you wish to study may be acceptable for certain courses.
Practical and task-based work
Observation and fieldwork study
What can I go on to study?
- Level 3 BTEC Diploma in Uniformed Public Services leading to...
- FdA Criminal Justice (Human Rights) (available at the college)
- Related university-level courses
- Related employment
- Police officers (sergeant and below)
- Police community support officers
- Fire service officers (watch manager and below)
- Prison service officers (below principal officer)
- Officers in armed forces
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Vision West Nottinghamshire College directly.