Psychology A level at Sacred Heart of Mary Girls' School
We are following the new AQA syllabus ‘A’ Specification. The course offers an engaging and effective introduction to Psychology which covers the core areas of Psychology and it will appeal to a cross-section of students. This qualification is linear; this means students will sit all A-Level examinations at the end of the two year course.
- Social influence: conformity, obedience, explanations for conformity and obedience, minority influence and social change.
- Memory: the nature of memory, two models of memory, types of memory, explanations of forgetting, eye-witness testimony.
- Attachment: types, explanations and consequences of attachments.
- Psychopathology: definitions of abnormality, explanations and treatment for phobias, depression and OCD.
- Approaches in Psychology: the Learning approach, the Cognitive approach, the Biological approach, the Psychodynamic approach and Humanistic psychology.
- Biopsychology: the nervous system, the endocrine system, the fight or flight response, the brain, ways of studying the brain and biological rhythms.
- Research methods: experimental method, observational techniques, self-report techniques, correlations, content analysis, case studies, the scientific process, data handling and analysis and inferential testing.
- Issues and debates in Psychology: gender and culture, free will and determinism, nature-nurture, holism-reductionism, idiographic and nomothetic debates and ethics.
- Choice of three topics from: relationships, gender, cognition & development, schizophrenia, eating behaviour, stress, aggression, forensic Psychology and addiction.
Applicants to the Sixth Form need to have achieved a minimum of five FULL GCSEs at grade C or above as well as the entry requirements for the individual course:
GCSE grades: B in Mathematics and B in Science
There is no coursework.
Each paper is assessed separately as a written exam lasting two hours each, and each worth 33.3% of the A-Level qualification.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Sacred Heart of Mary Girls' School directly.