Dance A Level at Dereham Neatherd High School
The course aims to:
- provide the opportunity to gain experience of performance and choreography and to develop critical thinking about Dance.
- develop understanding and knowledge as well as critical skills for the analysis of choreography and performance within their own work and in professional repertoire.
- gain experience of choreography and performance through practice.
- gain in-depth knowledge of specific study areas and professional works.
- promote a healthy lifestyle through an awareness of the importance of exercise and training.
Unit 1: Understanding Dance
Written examination consisting of two sections. Section A contains structured questions and section B requires two essay questions.
Questions will be linked to the three areas of study:
- The dancer as performer: knowledge and understanding of the demands made in practice and performance on the dancer
- The process and craft of choreography: own work and that of professionals
- The significance of dances: own work and that of professionals
Unit 2: Choreography and Performance
Practical coursework made up from two sections. Section A – solo choreography and performance. Section B – Performance in a duo/trio. Choreograph and perform a solo dance, between two and three minutes’ duration. Presentation of a duo/trio of between 3 and 4 minutes in any dance genre or style.
Unit 3: Dance Appreciation – Content and Context
Written examination consisting of two sections. Section A contains one question on a chosen area of study. Section B contains one question on a set work studied. Genres to be studied include ballet, modern and jazz dance.
Unit 4: Group Choreography and Solo Performance
Practical examination with two sections. Section A – group choreography. Section B – solo performance. The group choreography is performed by 3, 4 or 5 dancers and is 2 to 3 minutes in duration. The solo performance lasts for 2 to 3 minutes.
A practical background in Dance
Unit 1 – 20% Written examination – 1 hour 30 minutes.
Unit 2 – 30% Practical coursework – internally assessed.
Unit 3 – 25% Written examination – 1 hour 30 minutes.
Unit 4 – 25% Practical examination – externally assessed.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Dereham Neatherd High School directly.