Spanish AS and A Level at Tapton School
A Level Spanish provides a continuation of the 4 language skills of Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing acquired at AS level. A good level of linguistic ability is a marketable skill - a language is increasingly demanded in commerce, marketing, law, leisure and tourism, sales and engineering. Cultural and linguistic knowledge is extended throughout the period of study, including film and literature. Students will spend an additional hour a week with the Foreign Language Assistant. there is an opportunity to take part in a visit to Spain. Students from all Sheffield schools are encouraged to apply.
Social Issues and Trends
- Aspects of Hispanic Society
- Modern traditional values
- Cyber Space
- Equal Rights
- Multiculturalism in Hispanic Society
- Immigration, Integration and Racism
Artistic Culture in the Hispanic World
- Modern Day Idols
- Spanish regional identity
- Cultural heritage or cultural landscape
- Aspects of political life in the Hispanic World
- Today's youth, tomorrow's citizens
- Monarchies, republics and dictatorships
- Popular movements
- Key verb tenses, moods and voices
- Nouns, articles and gender
- Adjectives and adverbs
- Conjunctions and discourse markers
- Questions, quantifiers and intensifiers
- La casa de Bernarda Alba - Frederico Garcia Lorca
- El labertino del fauno - Guillermo Del Toro
Minimum of a grade 6 at GCSE.
Completion of AS to a grade D or above and discussion with subject teacher is needed to progress to the A Level.
In each year there are three examinations:
Paper 1: Listening and Reading comprehension and translations.
Paper 2: Essay paper (1 essay in AS, 2 essays at A Level)
Paper 3: Speaking exam.
Students with AS or Advanced GCE Spanish have access to a wide range of possible career and higher education opportunities. You learn and use a variety of transferable skills throughout the course. A modern foreign language supports a range of subjects including Law, Business and Economics, Engineering etc. Language A Levels are highly regarded by businesses and can lead to University Degrees which are even more sought after in a business world where borders are rapidly disappearing.
Languages are essential for careers in Teaching/ European Union/Translation/most businesses dealing with Europe where speaking an additional language is an advantage e.g banking.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.