Physical Education A Level at North Bromsgrove High School
OCR’s A Level in Physical Education will equip learners with both a depth and breadth of knowledge, understanding and skills relating to scientific, sociocultural and practical aspects of physical education. This requires them to:
- develop theoretical knowledge and understanding of the factors that underpin physical activity and sport and use this knowledge to improve performance
- understand how physiological and psychological states affect performance
- understand the key socio-cultural factors that influence people’s involvement in physical activity and sport
- understand the role of technology in physical activity and sport
- refine their ability to perform effectively in physical activity and sport by developing skills and techniques and selecting and using tactics, strategies and/or compositional ideas
- develop their ability to analyse and evaluate to improve performance
- understand the contribution which physical activity makes to health and fitness improve as effective and independent learners and as critical and reflective thinkers with curious and enquiring minds.
Component 01: Physiological factors affecting performance (30%)
1.1 Applied anatomy and physiology
1.2 Exercise physiology
Component 02: Psychological factors affecting performance (20%)
2.1 Skill acquisition
2.2 Sports psychology.
Component 03: Socio-cultural issues in physical activity and sport (20%)
3.1 Sport and Society
3.2 Contemporary issues in physical activity and sport.
Component 04: Performance in physical education (NEA) (30%)
4.1 Performance or coaching of an activity taken from the approved lists*.
*The approved lists can be found in section 2e (page 34) of the ‘OCR AS and GCE guide to NEA in Physical Education’. 4.2 The Evaluation and Analysis of Performance for Improvement (EAPI).
- Standard entry requirements.
- Students do not need to have studied GCSE PE, but if they have a C grade or higher is required.
- Grade C or higher in science is preferable.
- Must be fit, have no known injury and able to actively participate in practical sessions.
- sports coaching/teaching
- armed forces
- fitness specialist
- physical or occupational therapy
- sports trainer
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact North Bromsgrove High School directly.