English Literature A Level at Brooke Weston Academy
This two year course encourages students to develop interest in and enjoyment of English Literature, through reading extensively and widely, as well as critically and independently - across centuries, genre and gender. Students are expected to purchase numerous books and critical material over the course and also see a range of dramatic performances to enhance their experience of the texts and contexts in which the works were conceived or adapted. Students will be given audits per term of tasks to complete and a comprehensive reading list which they are expected read either with their teacher or as independent study.
Open to students who have gained at least a grade B in both GCSE English Literature and GCSE English Language. A love for reading literature and critical material.
- AS Paper 1: Love through the Ages Poetry - written exam of 1 hour 30 minutes and is worth 50% of the AS level grade.
- AS Paper 2: Love through the Ages Prose - written exam of 1 hour 30 minutes and is worth 50% of the AS level grade.
- A2 Paper 1: Love through the Ages - Poetry and Prose 3 hour written exam and is worth 40% of the A level grade.
- A2 Paper 2B: Modern Times: Literature from 1945 to the Present Day â€“ Poetry, Prose and Drama - 2 hour 30 minute written exam and is worth 40% of the A level grade.
- A2 Non-exam assessment - Independent Critical Study: Texts across Time - Assessed by teachers and moderated by AQA. Worth 20% of the A level.
Students of English literature go on to study a wide range of subjects at degree level including English literature, English language, performing arts, history, journalism, philosophy, law, sociology and media studies. Many students find that their A Level in English Literature helps them to gain a career in publishing, teaching, journalism, and literary criticism. Some areas which have traditionally attracted English Literature students include advertising, marketing and PR, arts administration, library and information management, the legal profession and the media.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Brooke Weston Academy directly.