Plastering Study Programme at Leeds College of Building
What's it all about?
Plasterers mix and apply plaster to walls and ceilings of buildings to provide a smooth or decorative finish. A plasterer will also produce ornamental plasterwork such as ceiling roses, cornices and columns.
What skills and qualities do I need?
- Observant with a keen eye for detail
- The ability to work well individually and as part of a team
- Good communication skills
How much could I earn?
Starting salaries can be between £14,000 and £17,000 a year. Qualified plasterers can earn from £17,500 to £35,000 or more.
What would I learn at College?
- How to use plastering tools and equipment e.g. trowel and hand board
- Discover the origin of plaster
- How to prepare walls and ceilings of prior to applying plaster
- How to apply sand/cement and lighweight plaster to various backgrounds
- How to create and fix fibrous plasterwork such as dado rails and ceiling centres
- How to apply external render and floor screed
- The various types of plasterboard that are available and how to prepare them for internal surfaces. There is also the opportunity to visit a local plasterboard plant to see how the products are manufactured
No matter what level you are currently working at, you will be expected to further your skills in English and maths.
All applicants will be required to pass an assessment and attend an interview.
You must have achieved the Level 1 Diploma to complete the Level 2 Diploma.
You could progress from a level 2 to a level 3 qualification. There is also the opportunity to progress onto higher education at the College.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.