Accessibility links

Geography with World Development at East Leake Academy

Course description

All students who study A2 Economics and A2 Geography are automatically entered for AS World Development. Such is the nature of the World Development course that the subject material is covered discreetly in much of the teaching in A2 Economics and Geography and therefore students will feel comfortable sitting this additional AS. In both 2007 and 2009, we won the Good Schools Award for the best performance in England for World Development AS level.

The World Development specification is a response to growing concerns that people in our society in the 21st century should have an understanding of their role as global citizens and their responsibilities towards global development and sustainability. The title "World Development" has currency in both academic and educational fields and is associated with promoting a "one world" vision.

Students must complete a series of article evaluations, a piece of coursework and a two hour examination to be accredited with the AS award. The work is spread out, with students starting the article evaluations at the end of Year 12 if appropriate. There is a two hour examination which tests the two themes highlighted below:

Theme 1
Development, Resource and Global Citizenship

Theme 2
Poverty and Inequality

Assessment comes in three parts, one Controlled Assessment which together account for 25% of the total mark and two examinations for the other 75%.

Entry requirements

5 GCSEs at grade C or above, including English and Maths.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact East Leake Academy directly.

Last updated date: 20 May 2014

Key information

  • Start date: Next September
  • Duration: 1-2 Years

Venues