Applied Science Subsidiary Diploma at Solihull College & University Centre
The Subsidiary Diploma is the perfect course for students who want to continue their study in Applied Science, while also having time to study towards one of their GCSEs in Maths or English in one year (from a grade D/3 at entry).
The Level 3 Diploma in Applied Science includes:
- Biology, Physics and Chemistry
- Skills of carrying out a scientific practical project
- Key principles of working in a scientific field
- Development of scientific skills relevant in the workplace
- Health and safety in the laboratory
- Applications of physical sciences (chemistry and physics)
- Human biology
- English and/or Mathematics
Entry requirements are normally:
- GCSE Grade C/4 or above in either Mathematics or English and a GCSE grade D/3 in the other
- Either GCSE Grade C/4s or above in science (double award, core and additional, or separate sciences)
- Or a Merit Grade or above in the BTEC Level 2 Diploma/Extended Certificate in Applied Science
- Other equivalent qualifications will be considered on a case-by-case basis and in special cases a diagnostic assessment may be completed
To pass this course you will successfully complete a number of assignments. This coursework will be assessed against Pass, Merit or Distinction criteria. Certain sections of the course may be assessed by written examinations or short tests.
If you are successful (with at least a Merit grade) on this course, you will be able to progress onto the Level 3 Diploma in Applied Science which will then allow you access University-level courses in scientific disciplines.
You will also be qualified to seek employment in a science based organisation.
Students will undertake a wide range of practical investigations, through which good laboratory practice will be developed.
All laboratory safety equipment will be provided by the College.
You may wish to purchase a recommended textbook to accompany the course.
All students will be required to make set contributions towards educational trips and/or travel expenses to local events.
If you have a Learning Difficulty or Disability please let us know when you apply. You will be offered support in your interview. If you need help completing your application we can help with this too.
Solihull College offers full time and part time courses for businesses and residents in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton, Coventry Warwickshire and the whole of the West Midlands.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Solihull College & University Centre directly.