Design and Technology GCSE at Grange Technology College
What is the AQA Product Design GCSE?
This course offers students a creative and challenging experience in designing and making a commercial product using materials from plastic, wood, metal, paper, card, textiles and food. It builds upon your experiences at KS3 and includes Computer Aided Design work and Computer Aided manufacture such as laser cutting and designing using ICT programmes such as Tech Soft 2-D.
Product Design includes analysing the work of designers and their products such as Apple's I Pod and the Dyson vacuum cleaner and the effect that product design has on improving lives and meeting a particular need.
All products need packaging and customer care instructions and labelling and you will package your product so that it would be suitable for sale.
For further information contact Mrs S Wike, Area Director for Design Technology.
- Design evolution - why do products change over time?
- Green products and design for sustainability
- Exploring ideas and making prototype models
- Refining skills and making a final product and its packaging
- Using ICT in Design, CAD/CAM, digital photography, DTP work
- How to create a design portfolio
- How to make a product that I have designed, meeting a user need.
- A positive attitude - ambition and desire to achieve the best that you are capable of
- Enthusiasm for learning new making and designing skills
- Determination to complete the tasks - working after school
- Being aware of the impact that products have on society and the environment
- Applying skills and knowledge from Maths, Science and English
The Product Design course is assessed through 2 units of work at the end of Year 11
Unit 1: Written Exam 40% of the final grade (single tier A* - G)
Unit 2; Design and making practice 60% of the final mark
45 hours supervised time.
If you are successful in Product Design you can continue to AS level Product Design at Grange Technology College .
At Degree level there are many Design based courses available:
- Product Design
- Web Design
And specialised Design courses in:
- Interior Design
- Fashion and Footware
- Industrial/Automotive Design
You must also be interested in Engineering at Degree level.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grange Technology College directly.