Painting & Decorating Level 2 Diploma at Somerset College
The Level 2 Diploma develops learners’ decorative skills at an intermediate level. The course covers a wide range of skills designed to make you ‘industry ready’. With a large focus on practical skills, your work will be marked and assessed against standards expected in industry.
The course units you will study are:
- Principles of building, communication and information
- Preparing surfaces for decoration
- Applying systems by brush and roller
- Applying and creating colour
- Producing specialist finishes for decorative work
- Applying foundation and plain papers
- Health, safety and welfare in construction
Entrants to this course will normally have undertaken the Level 1 Diploma in Painting & Decorating or hold GCSE’s at A-C. Acceptance is via interview and prior experience will be taken into consideration.
Your painting and decorating skills will be assessed in a range of ways including:
- Observation of your practical work
- End of unit practical tests (marked against industry standards)
- Production of a portfolio of your knowledge and practical work
- Online multiple-choice end of unit knowledge tests
- Practical and knowledge workbooks
You can progress onto a Level 3 Diploma in painting and decorating, or look to enter the industry as a painter & decorator. Employers make look to take you on to complete your level 3 as an apprentice.
The College offers construction courses from Levels 1 to 7. This could be the very start of your progression in the construction industry.
This course gives you the painting and decorating skills that are required to work in industry as a tradesperson. Painting and decorating can involve heritage, new build and restoration work. Successful learners have gained employment in the industry and set up as a self-employed tradesperson.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Somerset College directly.