Ready for Work Supported Internship at Oldham College
Oldham College is working in partnership with Pure Innovations, Oldham Council and local employers to provide a unique opportunity
for a limited number of students with learning difficulties or disabilities to enhance their employability skills in a real working environment.
The Supported Internship programme is an employment based course open to students with a learning difficulty or disability between the ages of 18 and 24 year old. It provides a combination of taught sessions and work experience placements and provides opportunities to learn work skills and build confidence in a real place of work alongside working colleagues. After the supported placements finish, it is hoped the Interns may secure paid employment either at their place of work or with local employers
The course runs for one academic year, four days per week. Each Intern will work towards a City and Guilds 3847 qualification in maths and English and an Oldham College certificate in Employability Skills at entry level three.
We provide each Intern with a person-centred support plan tailored to meet their needs and skills and match this to job roles within an employer’s organisation. They then undertake a rotation of three, ten-week work placements giving them valuable experience in a variety of job roles.
All Interns will be supported by a Job Coach and Senior Employment Officer in the workplace. There will also be a dedicated member of teaching staff to identify individual requirements and assess workplace knowledge and skills.
No Formal Entry Requirements.
However, applicants must:
- have a learning difficulty or disability
- be aged 18-24
- want to get a paid job
- have the potential to develop work skills
- be willing and able to develop appropriate behaviour and social skills in the workplace
- be willing and able to listen to and follow instructions
- be able to travel independently or willing to be travel trained
- pass a Criminal Records Bureau check
Continual Assessment through Tutor/Job Coach observations
Peer and Self-Assessment
All students at Oldham College will participate in a personalised study programme that will
maximise your potential and enable you to progress onto employment, apprenticeships or higher education.
This means you will:
- Study a core qualification in a vocational discipline and continue to develop your English and Maths skills through functional skills, GCSE resits and the option of AS/Level 3 qualifications
- Participate in meaningful work experience
- Enjoy a range of enrichment opportunities e.g. basketball, archery, skiing and sign language
- Take part in dedicated tutorial sessions to review your progress and development
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.