Mathematical Studies level 3 Certificate (Core Maths) at Harris Academy Merton
The Level 3 Certificate in Mathematical Studies is a new Maths qualification for students who want to maintain and develop their valuable Maths skills. At the end of the two-year course students will gain a Level 3 qualification similar to an AS which will be recognised by both universities and employers. The course will help and support other subjects – in particular with Science, Geography, Business studies and Economics.
- Analysis of data
- Maths for personal finance
- Critical analysis of given data and models including spread sheets and tabular data
- Statistical techniques
- Critical path and risk analysis
- Graphical techniques
Standard Sixth Form Entry Requirements:
- To study 4 A levels: must have average GCSE points score of 52+
- To study 3 A levels: must have 7 A* - C grades in full course GCSE subjects
- To study 3 A levels/vocational combination: must have 5 A* - C/9 - 4 grades at GCSE or Merit or above in Vocational subjects
- To study vocational level 3 subjects: 5 A* - C/9 - 4 grades at GCSE or equivalent, with at least a merit/C/4 grade in a relevant vocational qualification or GCSE
- Extended writing A level subject students will need a combination of at least grades 4 and 5 in English Language and English Literature
Subject specific requirements:
Students are required to have a C grade or higher in Maths GCSE
2 x 90 minute exams, worth 60 marks each
Paper 1 will assess all of the compulsory content and will contain questions based on the pre-release material.
Paper 2 (students take one paper only):
All papers will assess analysis of data and models including spread sheets and tabular data. Students then take one of the following:
- Either Paper 2A: Statistical Techniques
- Or Paper 2B: Critical Path and Risk Analysis
- Or Paper 2C: Graphical Techniques
All students taking the course will be expected to purchase a scientific calculator.
Many roles in today’s workplace require high levels of budget management and problem-solving skills; studying for a Level 3 Certificate Mathematical Studies will equip students with these skills.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Harris Academy Merton directly.