Applied Science - BTEC Level 3 at Wigan UTC
BTEC Level 3 in Applied Science can be an equivalent to one or two or Three A Levels, dependant on which option you choose.
Units involved within this course are:
- Principles and Applications of Science - The unit covers some of the key concepts in science such as Periodicity, Cell structure and function and Wave theory. It is assessed by a written examination.
- Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques - introduces quantitative techniques such as calibration, chromatography and calorimetry. The unit is assessed by an assignment.
- Science Investigation Skills - students cover the stages involved in planning and carrying out a scientific investigation. The task is set and marked externally.
- Laboratory Techniques and their Application - The unit covers manufacturing techniques and testing methods. It is assessed by assignment.
- Principles and Applications of Science II - builds on the concepts met in Unit 1 and covers major systems of the body, properties of substances including organic compounds, and the properties of materials. The unit is assessed by a written examination.
- Investigative Project - students undertake a vocational investigative project. The task is set and marked internally.
- Plus other units that cover important applications of physics and chemistry. They are assessed by assignment.
At least 5 at grades A*-C Including English & Maths
At least 5 at grades 9-4 Including English & Maths
Grade 6 or above in the subject required to study
funded if aged 16-19
The qualification is primarily designed to support progression to applied science and related employment after further study at university. However, it also supports learners progressing directly to employment, as the transferable knowledge, understanding and skills will give learners an advantage when applying for a range of entry-level industry training programmes and/or Higher
Apprenticeships in areas such as laboratory technician, industrial technician, and medical technician.
Study a variety of courses at Wigan UTC, including:
BTEC Level 2 Engineering
BTEC Level 3 Engineering
BTEC Level 3 Electronic Engineering
BTEC Level 3 Manufacture Engineering
BTEC Level 3 Design Engineering
BTEC Level 3 Sport & Exercise Science
BTEC Level 3 Applied Science
BTEC Level 3 Health & Social Care
BTEC Level 3 Child Development
BTEC Level 3 Business
A Level Maths
A Level Physics
A Level Chemistry
A Level Biology
A Level Business
A Level Product Design
GCSE English Resit
GCSE Maths Resit
Visit one of our Open Evenings to see our facilities and see what we can offer:
Wed 11th October 2017 - 5pm - 7pm
Sat 21st October 2017 (10am - 2pm)
Wed 1st November 2017 (5pm - 7pm)
Wed 15th November 2017 (5pm - 7pm)
Wed 29th November 2017 (5pm - 7pm)
Wed 13th December 2017 (5pm - 7pm)
Visit our Facebook or Instagram page - Wigan UTC
Tel: 01942 614 440
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.