English Functional Skills at NewVIc
A good understanding of the English Language will help you to get the qualifications for the job that you want. This is an intensive programme which equips learners with practical skills for GCSE English Language, work and everyday life.
The course will focus on:
- improving your ability to write in different styles and formats, in standard English
- developing your reading and understanding skills
- developing your speaking and listening skills
On the course you will:
- select, read, understand and compare texts
- use different texts to gather information, ideas, arguments and opinions
- write a range of texts, including extended written documents, communicating
- information, ideas and opinions, effectively and persuasively
There is no formal qualification required for Level 1. For Level 2, you will need to have achieved at least a grade 3 in GCSE English Language or Functional English Level 1 or equivalent.
This course involves both oral and written work, and you will be assessed on both of these elements. At the end of the course, you will sit two examinations, one for reading and one for writing. The speaking and listening assessment will be completed by the teacher at the college under examination conditions. You must complete all three of these units to achieve a pass at Level 1 or 2.
This is an intensive course and you will be required to work hard throughout the year. We expect a high level of attendance, and you will therefore be asked to sign a functional English learning contract at the beginning of the year.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact NewVIc directly.