Further Mathematics AS/A2 at Caludon Castle Business Enterprise School
Further Mathematics qualifications are highly regarded and are warmly welcomed by universities. Students who take Further Mathematics are really demonstrating a strong commitment to their studies, as well as learning mathematics that is very useful for any mathematically rich degree.
Some prestigious university courses require you to have a Further Mathematics qualification and others may adjust their grade requirements more favourably to students with Further Mathematics. If you are not planning to study for mathematically rich degrees but are keen on mathematics you will find Further Mathematics a very enjoyable course and having a Further Mathematics qualification identifies you as having excellent analytical skills, whatever area you are considering for a career.
AS and A2 course content
The course consists of 6 units. 3 units at AS level and 3 units at A level. All units are equally weighted, and all examination papers are 1 hour 30 minutes long.
The units have been designed to encourage candidates to:
• develop their understanding of mathematics and mathematical processes in a way that promotes confidence and fosters enjoyment
• develop abilities to reason logically and recognise incorrect reasoning, to generalise and to extend their range of mathematical skills and techniques and use them in more difficult, unstructured problems
• recognise how a situation may be represented mathematically and understand the relationship between ‘real-world’ problems and standard and other mathematical models and how these can be refined and improved
• acquire the skills needed to use technology such as calculators and computers effectively, recognise when such use may be inappropriate and be aware of limitations
• develop an awareness of the relevance of mathematics to other fields of study, to the world of work and to society in general
• take increasing responsibility for their own learning and the evaluation of their own mathematical development.
GCSE grade A in Mathematics
AS and A level Further Maths
This course is taught completely in-house at Caludon for both AS and A2 Year.
Students take six equally weighted unit examinations according to the following timetable:
All exams will take place in June, students will sit 3 modules: Further Pure 1, Decision and Statistics
All exams will take place in June, students will sit 3 modules: Further Pure 2, Mechanics 1 and Mechanics 2
The skills gained from studying a science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) subject at A level or degree level are in demand by employers.
These subjects are underpinned by mathematics. Having a broad mathematical knowledge and secure technical ability will help the transition from sixth-form to higher education
This course is a traditional A level.
It is exam based and requires students to be able to apply knowledge of Mathematics in a variety of familiar and unfamiliar circumstances.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Caludon Castle Business Enterprise School directly.