Mathematics and Advanced Level Further Mathematics at Budehaven Community School
Mathematics at AS and Advanced GCE is a course worth studying not only as a supporting subject for the physical and social sciences, but in its own right. It is challenging but interesting. It builds on work students will have met at GCSE, but also involves new ideas that some of the greatest minds of the millennium have produced. It serves as a very useful support for many other qualifications as well as being a sought after qualification for the workplace and courses in higher education.
While studying Mathematics students will be expected to:
use mathematical skills and knowledge to solve problems
- solve quite complicated problems by using mathematical arguments and logic
- understand and demonstrate what is meant by ‘proof’ in Mathematics
- simplify real-life situations using Mathematics to show what is happening and what might happen in different circumstances
- use the Mathematics learnt to solve problems given in a real-life context
- use calculator technology and other resources (such as formulae booklets or statistical tables) effectively and appropriately; understand calculator limitations and when it is inappropriate to use such technology
Normal Sixth Form requirements and a Grade B or above in GCSE Mathematics. Students not achieving this grade will need to discuss their entry onto the course with Mr Blackbourn.
- for A-level Mathematics, four Pure Mathematics and two Statistical Modules are studied
- for Further Mathematics, extra modules are taken in Pure Mathematics, Mechanics and Decision Mathematics, giving a much wider and deeper knowledge of Mathematics
Both Mathematics and Further Mathematics can lead to AS qualifications if they are only studied in Year 12.
- for Mathematics, two Pure and one Statistical Module
- for Further Mathematics, one Further Pure, one Mechanics and one Decision Mathematics
A Sunday Times survey suggested that people with A-level Mathematics earn an average 10% more than those without A-level Mathematics! Advanced GCE Mathematics is a much sought-after qualification for entry to a wide variety of full-time courses in higher education. There are also many areas of employment that see a Mathematics Advanced GCE as an important qualification and it is often a requirement for the vocational qualifications related to these areas. Higher Education courses or careers that either require Advanced GCE Mathematics or are strongly related include:
- environmental Studies
- ICT and Computing
If students wanted to continue their study of Mathematics after Advanced GCE students could follow a course in Mathematics at degree level or even continue further as a postgraduate and get involved in mathematical research.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Budehaven Community School directly.