Introduction to the Hair and Beauty Sector Entry Level 3 at Wirral Metropolitan College
This course provides you with an introduction to the hairdressing and beauty therapy industry as well as developing your skills in personal and social development.
You will be taught a range of skills and techniques across the hair & beauty sectors, which will allow you to perform your own salon services and to assist others in the salon. Part of your week will be spent working in the College Salons learning basic hair and beauty skills skills and assisting the Level 2 and 3 students.
The course will enable you to study a wide range of skills, all of which will help you on your chosen career pathway, moving into employment, apprenticeship or further training. You will get the opportunity to gain a nationally recognised vocational qualification linked to your chosen career. Also, this course will help you to improve your Maths, English and ICT, plus develop the personal and social skills which employers look for. You will be given support and guidance throughout your learning journey and your progress will be reviewed with you regularly.
You will cover the following:
- Shampooing and conditioning
- styling women's hair
- hair plaiting and braiding
- Health and Safety
- hand care
- skin care
You will also spend time researching and finding out about different job roles and career pathways within the hair and beauty industry as well as developing yourself and learning how to deal with problems and work towards goals. You will learn how to manage your own time, handle money and work as a team, all skills which are highly sought after in the hair and beauty industry.
During your course there will be opportunities for attending National shows and exhibitions.
- Priority will be given to those aged 16-18 years old.
- You need to have a genuine interest in the Hair and beauty industry.
- An ability to communicate one to one e.g. to a tutor or client and to follow verbal instructions from a tutor or client.
- Much of the course material is presented in work books. You will need to be able to read these books.
- You need the skills for working with customers e.g. helping to put on a gown and directing the client to the appropriate salon and bay. You may be expected to stand for periods of time and have the skills to clear and tidy work areas.
Before starting, you will take English and maths assessments to ensure you can meet the requirements of the course.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course.
You will be assessed practically and by completing projects.
This qualification could lead directly into supervised employment in the hair and beauty industry working as a salon apprentice.
You can also progress onto Level 1 Hairdressing or Beauty Therapy.
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A*-C in English and maths already
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wirral Metropolitan College directly.