Motor Vehicle IMI Level 1 Diploma at Herefordshire & Ludlow College
This course is the starting point to becoming a fully-qualified motor vehicle technician. You’ll work and learn in our new purposebuilt workshop and classrooms, equipped with modern industry-standard machines and equipment. Your study is based around practical tasks using modern technology and tools.
With an increasing number of vehicles on our roads and constant technological advances in the industry there’s a growing need for qualified craftspeople, technicians and truly professional motor vehicle engineers.
Employment in the motor vehicle industry covers a wide range of activities, from maintenance and servicing to management of retail and fleet operations. This course covers basic technical skills and essential knowledge for service technicians working on light vehicles (cars and vans) in all types of garages, dealerships and maintenance depots. Students also gain a broad understanding of health and safety in the workplace.
You will cover a diverse range of topics throughout your course. A selection of unit titles is shown below:
- Light Vehicle Construction and Routine Maintenance
- Operating Principles of Light Vehicle Engines, Tyres, Brakes, Steering and Suspension Systems
- Operating Principles and Maintenance of Light Vehicle Transmission Systems and Electrical and Electronic Systems
- No formal entry qualifications are required
- All applicants will undergo an initial assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Places will be offered following a satisfactory interview
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
Knowledge and skills are assessed by set practical tasks in a motor vehicle workshop environment, online multiple-choice testing and by assessments set by the College.
There are various opportunities for further study or employment upon successful completion of your course.
Study options may include:
- Level 2 Motor Vehicle (Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair)
- Intermediate Apprenticeship in Motor Vehicle
Employment options may include:
- Vehicle Service/Repair Garage
- Vehicle Parts Retail
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Herefordshire & Ludlow College directly.