Motorsport Vehicle Technology Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma at Basingstoke College of Technology
This technical qualification provides students with the skills and experience required to pursue a career in motor sport. It is suitable for direct entry (for those who meet the entry requirements) and can be a good progression option for those who have achieved a Level 2 in automotive skills.
The course covers a wide range of subjects including:
- Operation of vehicle chassis systems
- Vehicle systems fault diagnosis and rectification
- Motorsport workshop practices
- Motorsport vehicle preparation and inspection
- Applications of vehicle science and mathematics
- Vehicle electrical charging and starting systems
- Operation and testing of vehicle electronic ignition systems
- Vehicle engine management systems
- Vehicle technology project
- Function and operation of vehicle petrol injection systems
- Vehicle engine principles, operation, service and repair
- Light vehicle transmission systems
- Computer aided drafting
- Maths for technicians
- Operation of light vehicle suspension, steering and braking systems
To enhance employment opportunities the course may also have additional qualifications built into the programme.
5 GCSEs grade A*- C (to include English, Maths and preferably Science) or successful completion of the BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Vehicle Technology (Motorsport) and Level 2 Functional Skills.
The course is continuously assessed through assignments, projects and case studies. Students will develop a responsible and co-operative approach to working on their own and in groups. The course uses practical activities, presentations and involvement with local business wherever possible.
If you are aged 16-18, tuition and registration fees are free.
If you are aged 19 or over, tuition and registration fees are payable at the start of each year of study; please ask for details.
If you are aged 24 or over, you may be eligible for a Student Loan to assist with your fees; please ask for details.
This course is a recognised route into Higher Education. Students may progress to a Higher National Diploma or Degree course, or directly into employment or an Apprenticeship.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Basingstoke College of Technology directly.