Music BTEC Extended Diploma Level 3 at St Helens College
You will study advanced techniques on this course including everything from music production, sequencing and sound creation, to songwriting, music and sound for the moving image and audio engineering.
You'll explore how to compose music, live sound techniques and the marketing and promotion of music.
During the first year of this two year course, you will cover the following units:
- Music production techniques
- Music technology in performance
- Sequencing systems techniques
- Sound creation and manipulation
- Acoustics for musicians
- Audio engineering principles
- Listening skills
- Special subject investigation
- The sound and music industry
In the second year, you will cover the following:
- Planning and delivering a music product
- Composing music
- Studying music from around the world
- Marketing and promotion in the music industry
- Music and sound for the moving image
- Live sound techniques
- The functional music keyboard
- The music freelance world
You need five GCSEs at grade C or above, including English and maths.
English and maths forms an important part of your future, ensuring you achieve the best success in your chosen career. But don't worry, if you haven't got the desired grades, we will still have a course available for you.
You will be assessed through assignment work and tutorials and practical productions both individual and group based.
If you are a school leaver, aged 16-18, (under the age of 19 on or before 31st August 2016), you do not pay tuition fees or examination and registration fees and may be eligible for additional support depending on your financial situation.
Once you have completed your level 3 course, you could choose to go onto university. We have a FdA in Music Production and Sound Design, at University Centre St Helens, accredited by University of Chester.
Alternatively, you may choose to launch your music career with a job in the industry.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Helens College directly.