Electrotechnical Industry Advanced Apprenticeship at Eastleigh College
The Advanced Apprenticeship in the Electrotechnical Industry is suitable for those who are seeking to start a career as an installation electrician or a maintenance electrician, or those who have relevant experience in electrical installation or maintenance work.
You will achieve, depending upon the pathway selected:
- a Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment (Buildings, Structures and the Environment)
- or a Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Electrotechnical Services (Electrical Maintenance).
Unless exempt on entry, you will also achieve Level 2 Functional Skills qualifications in English, Maths and ICT.
Two pathways are offered:
- electrical installation
- electrical maintenance.
Both pathways relate to work on domestic, industrial, commercial, leisure and agricultural buildings, structures and environments.
- Entry is subject to interview and assessment.
- You will need to have relevant employment.
In addition, you need to have
- 4 GCSEs at grade C or higher, including English and Maths
- or have completed an Intermediate Apprenticeship in a building services engineering discipline
- or have completed a Level 2/3 qualification in electrical installation
- or have relevant experience and be able to demonstrate ability equivalent to, or exceeding Level 2 in English and Maths.
Typical job roles for this Apprenticeship are:
- Installation Electrician
- Maintenance Electrician.
You will be assessed on a continuous basis through a combination of knowledge and practical assessment activities, including assessment of activities in the workplace.
Your progress will be continuously monitored and supported by an Apprenticeship Achievement Officer.
Advanced level apprentices, with support and opportunities in the workplace, can progress onto
- relevant Level 4/5 qualifications e.g. Building Services Engineering Technology and Project Management
- or onto a Foundation degree in an engineering discipline.
With additional training, advanced level apprentices may also be able to progress in their careers to roles such as
- System Designer
- Project/ Contracts Manager.
You will learn through a combination of on- and off-the-job training. Two modes of college attendance are offered:
- Day release (ELEC3)
- Block release (ELBC1)
The day release option requires attendance at college for one day per week during term time. The block release option requires attendance for 12 block weeks per year. The rest of your time is spent earning and learning in the workplace.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Eastleigh College directly.