Bricklaying Level 2 Diploma at Wirral Metropolitan College
On this course you will cover brickwork, health and safety, storing resources & materials, construction information, quantities, reading drawings, thin joint masonry. It consists of a mixture of approximately 60% practical work and 40% theory.
- C&G 201 Health, Safety and Welfare in Construction
- C&G 202 Principles of Building Construction, Information and Communication
- C&G 203 Producing Thin Joint Masonry and Masonry Cladding
- C&G 204 Building Solid Walling, Isolated and Attached Piers
- C&G 205 Interpreting Working Drawings to Set Out Masonry Structures
- C&G 206 Construct Cavity Walling Forming Masonry Structures
Functional Skills - As well as your chosen subject/s, you will work towards additional qualifications in English, maths and ICT. These are National qualifications required by employers and institutions of higher education which will play a vital part in your studies.
- Completion of the Bricklaying Level 1 Diploma.
- Good attendance and punctuality is required, along with committment to the course, enthusiasm and a good positive attitude to study.
- It would be helpful if you have used a computer before starting the course but if you have not got these skills you will be given the chance to learn.
- The course requires physical fitness. You will need to lift and use tools and handle materials.
- An ability to communicate one to one e.g. with a tutor or customer and in a group as part of a discussion.
- It is recommended that you have a minimum of Level 1 in Literacy. Reading: Much of the course material is presented in work books. You need an ability to read and understand these books. Technical language will be taught on the course. Writing: You will need to produce some written assignments.
- It is recommended that you have a minimum of Level 1 in Numeracy. You will need to understand the four rules of number, calculate areas and volumes, percentages, material quantities, ratios.
Before starting, you will take English and maths assessments to ensure you can meet the requirements of the course.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course.
Successful completion of this course may mean you can progress to NVQ level 2 Brickwork (if you gain employment) or the Level 3 Diploma in Brickwork.
Alternatively EDEXCEL First/National Diploma in Construction, careers in the construction industry or self-employment.
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A*-C in English and maths already
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wirral Metropolitan College directly.