Horticulture - Intermediate Apprenticeship at Easton & Otley College
This programme is an excellent way to gain experience in all aspects of the horticultural industry through developing practical hands on skills including plan identification, maintenance and uses, plant production, turf care, landscaping and planting.
This course is suitable for those seeking or employed in their first role within the industry.
The apprenticeship framework is made up of different nationally recognised qualifications. Including:
- Level 2 Diploma in Work Based Horticulture
- Level 1 Functional Skills in English and Math’s
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
Depending on the apprenticeship job role within the industry there are different pathways available. Including:
- Production Horticulture
- Green Keeper/Grounds Person
- Parks Countryside & Green Spaces
- Sports Turf
- Establishing plants and seeds in soil
- Preparing ground for seeding and planting
- Plant terminology and identification
- Maintain the health of sport turf
- Leveling and preparing sites for landscaping
- Identify and monitor pest and diseases
- Use and maintain pedestrian controlled powered equipment
- Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to a thorough initial assessment to clarify course appropriateness.
- Entrants must have the ability to achieve Level 1 Functional Skills in English and Mathematics and be able to cope with the Level 2 vocational qualification.
- Apprentices must be employed in the industry and must have a contract of employment working for a minimum for 30 hours per week.
Apprentices successfully completing the Intermediate Apprenticeship have opportunities to progress within the industry by continuing onto the Advanced Apprenticeship in Horticulture or other Further Education courses.
We are currently operating a dual delivery module depending on the requirements of the employer.
Easton Campus - One day per week at college, supported with assessment in the workplace
Otley Campus - Delivery is through teaching, support and assessments direct into the workplace
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Easton & Otley College directly.